Ubuntu Linux Resources

Quiet
Topic starter
(@Quiet)
Honorable Member

Just Beginning
Introduction

What is this?
It's a collection of tutorials designed to help new Ubuntu users, in particular those coming from a Windows-using background.

What is Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. . There are many operating systems that use the Linux kernel (sometimes these are called "Linux Distros"), and Ubuntu is only one of hundreds of those. -- If you're using a low spec computer, I suggest you usingXubuntu. If you want to start and get the hang of things and it still kind of represents a Windows operating system, I suggest you gettingPuppy Linux.

• Ubuntu is guaranteed to be cost-free. Other Linux distributions tend to be cost-free as well, but there exists no subscription or member fee that gives you extra in Ubuntu. There is no "enterprise edition." Ubuntu is Ubuntu, and it's free.
  • Ubuntu is a opensource operating system. If you don't know what that means, it pretty much means that everything is customizeable and you can make it your own operating system. All the programs or applications are almost all free. If you know anything about programming, you could easily obtain the source code of a program and edit it.
  • Ubuntu tries to make the installation of the operating system as simple as possible—one user (at least initially—you can add more users later), one password, one application per task, one CD for the entire operating system.

Even though Ubuntu comes with a lot of productivity software; an office suite, a music player, a photo editor, an instant messaging program, an email client, an internet browser, etc. Many people like their software to work out-of-the-box. Well this won't happen in Ubuntu. If you want to play like MP3s or DVD's or whatever you use on a daily basis, you're going to have to install software or modify software in order to play these things. You may even have to port a program to run like the original software.
Regular release cycles generally mean improved software. Regular improvements breed instability, though. Even if you upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 or from Mac OS X Snow Leopard to Mac OS X Lion, you may notice some glitches here and there. If you were to upgrade your Ubuntu operating system, it may be wearying to upgrade it. (It depends if you are upgrading before or after launch.) For those who may want a Linux distrubition that has stability, Debian may be your answer for that. If not, you'll have to workaround the paths of Ubuntu. Though Ubuntu is sorta stable, i known from experience that you may see frequent crashes. Ubuntu also has LTS (long term support) that will receive security updates for three years, so you don't have to upgrade every six months if you don't want to. (Non LTS Ubuntu releases get security updates for 18 months.)
I say use what operating systems suits your needs. Ubuntu may be that, but there are other Linux distributions out there, and you may be better off with a non Linux operating system, which in case may be Windows or Mac.
Windows to Ubuntu

This is a just a quick thought for people who are interested in switching to a new OS. This will my experience of me switching, and if you are interested, go ahead and try it for yourself ~

As a member of the Windows family, I decided to pack my bags and move on. Windows was getting to old for me, and it really didn't fit what I wanted to do anymore. So I'll explain about moving Windows to Ubuntu in a third person way.
* Lets begin ... *
Most Windows users who hear about Linux are probably going to diss it, and believe me, I dissed it too. However, we'll have somebody who will be a long-time Windows user who hears that how great Ubuntu is, he/she will download the ISO and burns it on a CD (Or USB). Maybe they'll hear about Wubi, which the program that allows you to dualboot Windows and Ubuntu. However, that Windows fan will rage that the programs are not configured properly and will rage and most likely uninstall Ubuntu.

While I acknowledge the people who jump right in it, but majority of the people who jump into Linux will not know anything. Unless they have used OS X. (Both systems are UNIX.)

Examine your motives
What motivates you to install Ubuntu? Ask yourself these basic questions;
1. Why do I want to migrate or is it out of curiosity?
2. Do I want the free version of Windows?
3. Do I want to try a different kind of OS?

Generally, the most successful migrations don't expect Ubuntu to be ' Right away Windows. ' Don't worry though, you'll have fun exploring the basics of Ubuntu? Take it slow, don't rush and think that your 1337, when in all reality you're just a begginer who doesn't know anything about Linux OS's. (Unless you've used a Mac, which will be similar.)

Take it slow
It's pretty possible that it can take months or years till you learn 100% of Ubuntu or any other Linux OS's. (I've been on Ubuntu for about a week or two, but I did read eBooks and researched about this operating system.) It's really bad that if you go ahead and delete your Windows OS and you don't find your programs suitable on Ubuntu. (This is why I dualbooted, it's much cleaner and I can keep going back to systems when I please.) If you wish to stay with Windows, but you want to learn at the same time, go for it and dualboot. If not, well you're not the smartest person on the block unless you're 100% confident that you'll keep this OS and won't regret it.

Start with opensource Windows applicationsWell, you'll notice that most Linux programs are opensource. If you don't know what opensource means here;

Using opensource will make you more comfortable on Ubuntu, but I advise you to start with opensource programs on Windows so you can fully customize Ubuntu when you start off. Use programs like this;
1. OpenOffice than Microsoft Word / Office
2. GIMP then Photoshop.
3. Other internet browsers besides internet Explorer. (I use Chromium on Ubuntu.)
Test out programs like these;
Audacity
Inkscape
Frostwire
etc.

Get known to live CD
Once you've learned opensource, or got to the stage of the basics, it's time to install! (If you have 256MB ram, I would prefer you had 512MB ram.) I really don't want to get into detail on how to do it, because most people known how to burn ISO's to a disc. Pretty much live CD gives you fully functional Ubuntu OS without affecting your hardrive. (It works off your USB/CD and your computer's memory.) It has two points
1. Allows you to preview programs, etc.
2. Allows you to look at any recognition with your programs / devices. (Without the use of programming it so they WILL work.) I would play around with the CD for about a week or two, and if you want install it. ** Doesn't work if you dualboot! **

Consider waiting and purchase new hardwareIf you have a difficult ATI card, Broadcom wifi, or a lexmark printer your Ubuntu experience may fall into pieces. Don't worry though, there is always ways to get your programs working. You WILL have to spend a long time trying to get your componets working properly. But I think it's best to stay with Windows, unless you want to go buy a Linux pre-installed computer, or buy Linux compatible hardware.

DualbootThis process is fairly simple. This is a simple program will help you install Ubuntu. It's called Wubi, it also includes other Linux OS's, but this topic will only target Ubuntu.
** To install the live CD, ISO, or Wubi please go to this link:
Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Set aside some timeIf you are one of those people who are completely lazy and don't want to learn anything, don't even bother installing Ubuntu. You'll just regret it.
Did you enjoy the move?
If you went through this 'small guide' well, you'll consider yourself as a happy camper. Explore around, enjoy Ubuntu!
Good luck, and have fun!

Name of the Video Game, and any other Tags