How to reduce lag w...

Notifications
Clear all

How to reduce lag when playing Xbox Live Multiplayer

Page 1 / 4

Topic starter
(@Teufel Hunden)
New RivalGamer

Are you experiencing a lot of lag when playing an online video game? Yeah, that can get a bit annoying and frustrating at times. Below are some ways you can reduce lag when playing Xbox Live Multiplayer video games.

Unplug your router/modem for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Your modem/router should be reset every once and a while for better performance.

Are you using wireless on your Xbox console? If so, how far is your modem/router from your Xbox? The distance from the Modem/Router to the Xbox360 can result in lag and slow connection. The best thing to do is put the modem/router close enough to where you can connect an Ethernet Cable to your Xbox360. The Ethernet Cable can reduce lag. If you do not have an Ethernet cable, put your Xbox as close as possible to your modem/router; EVERY inch counts.

What all is connected to your WiFi at the times you are playing? Having too many things connected to the WiFi at a time can activate EM interference (Electromagnetic Interference), such as a smartphone. You should put your phone into Airplane mode, for the exact reason why you must put it in that setting when on an Airplane. Your phone is ALWAYS communicating with random stuff. If your smartphone can disrupt an airplanes communication, it can disrupt your consoles communication. Also, Laptops or a computer, disconnect from the internet on them. Even wireless controllers can cause EM interference, so if you have a cord that you can plug into your remote to connect to your Xbox, go ahead and do so. Also, if your headset is wireless- that can also cause EM interference.

Is your game digitally downloaded? If not, Install your disc to your hard drive. If you do not know how to, follow this link: support.xbox.com/.../install-play-delete-game

The best thing to deal with lag and fight back is reduce the number of processes that have to take place for the game to run. Such as- If something goes wrong, your console is going to have to refer to the disc to figure out what is going on. That can cause lag and screen freezes. So installing it can reduce that and the Xbox360/One console will most likely know how to fix what ever is going wrong without having to refer to the disk.

The older and bigger your T.V. is can cause a SMALL screen delay. A computer monitor does not suffer from a lot of delays. Your controller will most likely become more responsive to the computer monitor, it can give you stronger aim and reaction time.

Sadly, there is no way to check your internet speed on the Xbox360. However, You can test it on the Xbox One!

How to check your internet speed on Xbox One:

- Turn on your Xbox One/ remote controller for your console.

- Go to Settings

- Network

- On the right you should see "TROUBLESHOOTING" followed by: "Test Network Connection", "Test multiplayer connection", and "Detailed network statistics."

- Click on "Detailed network statistics."

You can check your internet speeds and the minimum requirements for a better gaming experience by following this link: Xbox Live Lag Problem and Solutions | Xbox Performance Slow

Lastly, If your NAT type is closed or moderate- Unplug your modem/router, while that is restarting; Hard restart your console. For the Xbox One all you have to do is hold down the power button for 10 seconds, after it has shut down plug your modem/router back in. After your modem/router has been fired up, turn back on your Xbox.

Name of the Video Game, and any other Tags
17 Replies
(@TheDonBro)
New RivalGamer

Thanks for the tip's!

WarHeadinc
(@WarHeadinc)
Reputable RivalGamer

Btw. If your router stays on moderate. Try this. unplug your box for a 1 min or 2. Plug it back up but dont go online yet. Make sure all device are not connected to your router (Handheld devices and computers). Go online on your xbox first and check if its still moderated (If so you can reset your box by pressing a button in the back of your router. You will need a paperclip. or you may have a problem with your box and need to get a replacement ).
If you dont run into a prompt screen then your internet is open and getting the most data from xbox live and ready to kick butt online.

Note: Playing online can cause you to go back to moderate depending on a game. You might be about to tell when you start lagging yourself and not from the host.

(@TheDonBro)
New RivalGamer

Teufel Hunden I tried to get help from a Live Support Rep earlier and ended up just completley quitting it, due to the guy being 110% brain dead! I corrected him, told him what I did before he even gave me 'Bot Text Tips' and then he couldn't figure it out, or help me at all. So I wrote him this and just left the chat..

I'm not having game Matchmatking trouble though... I just keep DISCONNECTING from XBL EVERY 10 minutes... How many times must I have to say this. People on this support chat are absolutley useless I swear, everytime I come here, I either correct them, do ALL the steps before they even say and they just say ''I can't help you fix the problem'' what a waste of my time....

WarHeadinc
(@WarHeadinc)
Reputable RivalGamer

Teufel Hunden I tried to get help from a Live Support Rep earlier and ended up just completley quitting it, due to the guy being 110% brain dead! I corrected him, told him what I did before he even gave me 'Bot Text Tips' and then he couldn't figure it out, or help me at all. So I wrote him this and just left the chat..

I'm not having game Matchmatking trouble though... I just keep DISCONNECTING from XBL EVERY 10 minutes... How many times must I have to say this. People on this support chat are absolutley useless I swear, everytime I come here, I either correct them, do ALL the steps before they even say and they just say ''I can't help you fix the problem'' what a waste of my time....

I would just reset your box. If its not that. Recover your account online. It is most likely something broke on the cloud storage. I had this problem a long time again but I was modding my account

Page 1 / 4