Topic starter
(@KranK)
Reputable RivalGamer

19. blr = 0x4E, 0x80, 0x00, 0x20

Ah yes 😛 how come i not added this lmao

(@y8rz3l56ye2n8q)
Estimable RivalGamer

The point is lost on me.

When I went from MIPS on the PS2 to PPC on the PS3, being familiar with things enough it wasn't too tricky making the jump, different mnemonics and bits to make operations and a different byte order, things were mostly the same aside from noticing branches went from beq v0, a3, $0008 to being 2 lines composed of 1 for the comparison and the next line for how to interpret the comparison and make the jump. I can kind of see this being very helpful that way but it might be useless without descriptions of the operations and the bits and everything.

If it's for people that already know nothing of programming, it's 99% likely to be useless.

As a strangely random thing I've helped at least 2 people a little on understanding this stuff when they were familiar with things like C#/C++ and whatever else, they caught on quickly and I know 0% of anything about those languages. But if it's aimed at them, mnemonics and numbers aren't likely going to help them without descriptions and a little idea of how to use them.

In the end, with no description of what these are, people who don't already know what they are will likely be completely lost. Until somebody at least wrote the full abbreviations of some things so I knew something like cmplwi meant compare logical word immediate, I was lost. Descriptions can take people a lot further, and some things even have exceptions. If you do an ori operation with something other than 0000, things seem normal, but if it's 0000 then the destination register and whatever you would call the other one seem to switch places.
60640001 = ori r3, r4, 0001
6064FFFF = ori r3, r4, FFFF
60640000 = ori r4, r3, 0000 = mr r4, r3

Cyb3r
(@cyb3r)
Noble RivalGamer

Pretty awesome, would you like to start some tuts here to give the members a start point in PPC? 😉

Cain532
(@cain532)
Noble RivalGamer

The point is lost on me.

When I went from MIPS on the PS2 to PPC on the PS3, being familiar with things enough it wasn't too tricky making the jump, different mnemonics and bits to make operations and a different byte order, things were mostly the same aside from noticing branches went from beq v0, a3, $0008 to being 2 lines composed of 1 for the comparison and the next line for how to interpret the comparison and make the jump. I can kind of see this being very helpful that way but it might be useless without descriptions of the operations and the bits and everything.

If it's for people that already know nothing of programming, it's 99% likely to be useless.

As a strangely random thing I've helped at least 2 people a little on understanding this stuff when they were familiar with things like C#/C++ and whatever else, they caught on quickly and I know 0% of anything about those languages. But if it's aimed at them, mnemonics and numbers aren't likely going to help them without descriptions and a little idea of how to use them.

In the end, with no description of what these are, people who don't already know what they are will likely be completely lost. Until somebody at least wrote the full abbreviations of some things so I knew something like cmplwi meant compare logical word immediate, I was lost. Descriptions can take people a lot further, and some things even have exceptions. If you do an ori operation with something other than 0000, things seem normal, but if it's 0000 then the destination register and whatever you would call the other one seem to switch places.
60640001 = ori r3, r4, 0001
6064FFFF = ori r3, r4, FFFF

I agree with what Cyb3r said, you should really make a tutorial on this! Especially regarding MIPS, because I'm just now branching into that but for PS1 games (Hoping to better improve my GameShark plugin)

Page 2 / 4